May 31, 2014

Sonique - Sky (DJ Denis Shmelev & DJ Alex Serov Remix)


Born as Sonia Clarke in North London's Crouch End, England on June 21st, 1968 and also raised there. Sonique's formative years were infused with the sounds of her mums's record collection. Every Sunday the house would be filled with the sounds of Marvin Gaye, Roberta Flack, Gladys Knight, Otis Redding and Denice Williams. "That was the day for loud music, cleaning and nice-smelling food being cooked", she recalls fondly. However, it was her own discovery that was most meaningful. "Music is something you're born with," says Sonique. "I've always had this thing in me. The first record I bought was Donna Summer's «I Feel Love», and that was the beginning of my life and my musical experience. It reached a part of me other things didn't reach. I had known then that this is the music I like and I never left" she recalls. But had things been different one defining day during Sonique's teenage years, we may never have heard her own music at all. From the age of six, little Sonia had serious designs on the world of professional athletics. Still in possession of a superfit physique, Sonique explains: "I dreamed of being the world's best pentathlete. Trained every single day. I guess I was pretty obsessed." But, at the age of 15, all that came to an abrupt halt: "I came second in a race", she says matter-of-factly. "Wasn't used to losing." Which pretty much sums up Sonique's life philosophy: Be the best or don't bother. With her music career, she's certainly put that theory into practice.Listen song here:YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment